[Development] Header review process: follow-up on comments

Volker Hilsheimer volker.hilsheimer at qt.io
Tue May 2 11:00:20 CEST 2023

With Qt 6.5, it’s been a struggle to get people to respond and follow-up to comments made during the header review process.

Gerrit doesn’t really care about @user-style mentioning in comments, even though is seems that some people assume that it does. Creating JIRA tickets is the official way of doing it, but creating a ticket just to get someone’s attention to input (which might or might not require a change) seems heavy-handed. Ultimately, lots of people will be on cc or review of the respective header-review gerrit change, so everything becomes everyone’s problem.

Maintainers have a special responsibility during header review, but esp with qtbase that is also a lot of people.

What can we do to make this a better process that doesn’t end up with changes being made very late (with 6.5 we had some the day before the release candidate, IIRC)?

Volker