[Development] codereview now supports mentions in comments

Volker Hilsheimer volker.hilsheimer at qt.io
Thu Sep 7 16:30:29 CEST 2023

During the recent maintenance window we have enabled the “mentions” feature of gerrit:

https://www.gerritcodereview.com/3.7.html#mention-user-support

It’s not the pinnacle of usability in that you need to know the exact username/email address of the user you want to mention (so you have to write `@volker.hilsheimer at qt.io`, and gerrit will only complain about mistakes when you try to send your review), with no auto-completion support (as far as I can see). The emails generated are the same as for new comments, just that the mentioned user is added to the cc list.

But maybe this will get better in future releases, and even at the current state it will hopefully help with drawing the attention of people to specific comments during code review or header review.

Thanks to the gerrit admin team for following up on the respective discussion from May [1]

[1] https://lists.qt-project.org/pipermail/development/2023-May/043807.html

Cheers,
Volker