[Development] On the use of the inline keyword

Marc Mutz marc.mutz at qt.io
Mon Sep 11 12:47:42 CEST 2023

On 26.08.23 10:51, Volker Hilsheimer via Development wrote:
> It seems to be a rare issue, triggered by specific circumstances. With the knowledge that we have now, we can fix issues when they arise, and don’t have to change all the problematic use right now.

Yes, this email was to ensure people are aware of the issue and make
fixing inline keyword use part of their drive-by fix toolbox, both for
reviewing as well as authoring code.

Since this seems to be about using such functions in other out-of-body
inline functions, it should be limited to Qt code and there to the
actual patch introducing such a use. Unless and until we get user bug
reports about this, I don't think there's anything we need to do to
existing code. But when we hit it, we should do the whole header, not
just that one function.

> That’s my understanding at least; I might be wrong, but we have been building Qt for a few decades on MinGW without this constantly blocking us.

Ack.

Thanks,
Marc

--
Marc Mutz <marc.mutz at qt.io>
Principal Software Engineer

The Qt Company
Erich-Thilo-Str. 10 12489
Berlin, Germany
www.qt.io

Geschäftsführer: Mika Pälsi, Juha Varelius, Jouni Lintunen
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Berlin,
Registergericht: Amtsgericht Charlottenburg,
HRB 144331 B