[Development] Trouble getting reviews in months and years

Morten Sørvig Morten.Sorvig at qt.io
Thu Apr 11 12:53:07 CEST 2024

Hello Ilya!

> On Apr 9, 2024, at 00:17, Ilya Fedin <fedin-ilja2010 at ya.ru> wrote:
>

> 2. https://codereview.qt-project.org/c/qt/qtbase/+/444859 which is 1.5
> years old and no review

This one could be candidate for discussion on the mailing list. There are two issues:

- Should Qt read Gdk settings? Should the XCB platform plugin read Gdk settings?
The current approach is that we stick to X11-level settings, at least as far as DPI is concerned.

- Should Qt support DPI-based text scaling? With Qt 6 we moved to uniform
scaling where the scale factor is applied to all UI elements. I think several
operating systems provide a “larger text” setting in some form, so this is something
we could look into if there is interest. But we have to make sure this does not
result in broken UI (clipped text etc), so I don’t think we should jump directly
to enabling it by default.

All in all I don’t think I’ll +2 this change as it stands.

> 6. https://codereview.qt-project.org/c/qt/qtbase/+/519479
>
> 8. https://codereview.qt-project.org/c/qt/qtbase/+/528953

These are of the “need to get around to it” category for my part. Adding new public
API can take a lot of time/effort. For 528953 we need to make sure we are not regressing
other platforms, and I have at least one related bug I’d like to take a look at at the
same time.

While we are on the topic - should we adopt a more structured approach to env variables
like QT_WIDGETS_HIGHDPI_DOWNSCALE?

qputenv("QT_WIDGETS_HIGHDPI_DOWNSCALE", "1”) is the go-to approach for enabling
from application code, but as pointed out in 519479 that has the problem that the setting
is propagated to child processes, for example via QDesktopServices::openUrl().

This could be fixed by always having a corresponding “_q_foo” application attribute (or similar),
which would put environment variable users and source code users on equal footing.

- Morten