[Development] Let's drop MSVC 2019 for dev (6.8)

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Sat Feb 3 18:08:25 CET 2024

The compiler is pretty buggy and has several, unfixed conformance issues with
C++.

One year ago I asked on the interest mailing list about using a non-latest
MSVC:
https://lists.qt-project.org/pipermail/interest/2023-January/038859.html

The reasons reported for not going to the next were:
* regression in a newer version that MS hadn't fixed
* cost: they may have bought version X but not Y (yet)
* cost: re-certifying the entire tool environment
* because the associated tools (IDE) have other problems (UX)
* inertia
* because our builds are labelled "msvc2019"

My conclusion then was that we could drop the older one, but our policy should
be to support an X-1 version of MSVC for as long as practicable, a minimum of
a few years. Well, in April this year, MSVC 2019 will be 5 years old, though
fortunately it's still getting updates. Considering MSVC 2022 will be 3.5 at
that time, I think it's time to drop.