[Development] Buddy group to help new contributors

Oswald Buddenhagen oswald.buddenhagen at gmx.de
Thu Jan 4 15:15:14 CET 2024

On Thu, Jan 04, 2024 at 11:35:45AM +0000, Edward Welbourne via Development wrote:

>Our post-commit hook also invokes sanitize-commit, which is a perl
>script.
>
>Of course, it would not be beyond the wit of developers to rewrite both
>into python; [...]
this whole "get rid of perl for the sake of windows users" is a
monumental red herring. because literally everyone already has perl with
all required modules installed the moment they have cloned qt the way we
instruct them to: git for windows comes with perl, because significant
parts of git are written in perl.
putting ...\Git\usr\bin into the shell's PATH is not the recommended
installation mode of GfW, but having instructions to do so in a qt build
environment seems rather reasonable to me.
and any git-something in PATH that gets run as `git something` (yes,
this just works) has perl in its PATH, which makes launching perl
scripts from qt5/qtrepotools//bin a breeze.