[Development] Buddy group to help new contributors

Elias Steurer kelteseth at googlemail.com
Fri Jan 5 08:21:54 CET 2024

 > git for windows comes with perl

Is this new? Because my installation does not have it. I just checked,
and the folder my env path points to only contains git.exe, git-gui.exe,
and no Perl. I don't share your positive experience with Perl on
Windows; see my earlier posts in this thread for details. Ideally, we
would not replace the Perl script with a Python script, but rather
remove the script entirely by moving to another code platform that does
not need these hooks to make contributing easy.

For all other readers, I can recommend the lengthy discussion from the
great people at Blender who had to deal with the discontinuation of
Phabricator:

  * https://devtalk.blender.org/t/developer-blender-org-call-for-comments-and-participation/23451/8
  * https://devtalk.blender.org/t/developer-blender-org-call-for-comments-and-participation/23451/34
  * https://code.blender.org/2022/07/gitea-diaries-part-1/