[Development] What to do if tests hang on the CI and I can't reproduce that locally?

Ilya Fedin fedin-ilja2010 at ya.ru
Tue May 14 17:25:14 CEST 2024

On Tue, 14 May 2024 08:09:43 -0700
Thiago Macieira <thiago.macieira at intel.com> wrote:

> [Re-adding the list]
>
> On Tuesday 14 May 2024 08:02:05 GMT-7 Ilya Fedin wrote:
> > The thing is that I need debug symbols for those system libraries to
> > understand what is going on... Is there no way to get them on the
> > CI?
>
> I don't think you do. I think you have enough information there: it's
> trying to get an atom and you must assume it's related to your
> changes.

But it doesn't say what kind of atom it's trying to get to understand
where to look...

> > As far as I understand, the code I changed is called only from the
> > main thread (the event thread is only reading the events but doesn't
> > handle them)... But that somehow affects gtk and I don't understand
> > how as the CI doesn't print the relevant gtk frames in the trace to
> > examine its code.
>
> Please confirm that your changes require that you reply to something
> requested from other applications. If so, make sure you can reply
> from the XCB event thread.

No, they don't, they only adding re-reading RESOURCE_MANAGER property
on the X11 root window once they update.

The only thing I can assume is that the order of Qt+gtk requests is
triggering some bug in X server and it hangs... But I'm unable to
reproduce that myself to debug.