[Interest] Mac app store roadblock for Qt applications using QtWebKit

Chris Meyer cmeyer1969+qt at gmail.com
Fri Dec 16 17:37:34 CET 2011

On Fri, Dec 16, 2011 at 7:36 AM, Till Oliver Knoll
<till.oliver.knoll at gmail.com> wrote:

> Am 16.12.2011 um 02:05 schrieb Chris Meyer <cmeyer1969+qt at gmail.com>:
>
>> I have an application that has been shipping in the Mac app store for
>> several months based on Qt.
>>
>> I don't know if it is possible for QtWebKit (or even if it would be
>> accepted if it were possible) to build without linking to the
>> libraries in WebKitLibraries...
>
> Could you quickly confirm that your application actually uses (and hence links) against QtWebKit?
>
> So the conclusion so far would be:
>
> * Qt app + QtWebKit: absolute no-go for Apple App Store

Correct.

> * Qt App without QtWebKit: good to go (provided all the Qt "App Store" patches are applied)

I think that's correct. I'll be resubmitting in the next few days to
see what other pitfalls remain. Fortunately, my use of QtWebKit is
limited and not essential.

> Talking of which: does the recently released Qt 4.8 include the patch which lets the application control where to store the "Qt settings"? What about the "sandbox Qt filedialog" issue? Did that patch make it into the 4.8? The changelog I found on Git (!?) did not reveal anything...

This is a bit off topic, but here's the quick summary:

I didn't submit a 4.8 merge request yet for "Qt Settings" location,
however the 5.0 patch went in easily.

http://codereview.qt-project.org/#change,8520

In 4.8, there are prerequisites to remove caching of plug-in info in
settings, among other things. I'll submit those patches one by one in
the next few weeks. Then submit the settings patch.

The "sandbox Qt filedialog" merge request is here (not merged yet):

https://qt.gitorious.org/qt/qt/merge_requests/2724

You can follow my running list of changes here on my 4.8 branch.

https://gitorious.org/~cmeyer/qt/cmeyers-qt

Use:

git clone https://gitorious.org/~cmeyer/qt/cmeyers-qt
cd cmeyers-qt
git checkout 4.8
git log --no-merges --author "Chris Meyer"