[Interest] Qt Contribution Day in SF starts here

Marcus D. Hanwell marcus.hanwell at kitware.com
Fri Nov 4 16:11:50 CET 2011

On Tue, Nov 1, 2011 at 6:35 PM, Quim Gil <quim.gil at nokia.com> wrote:
> I had expected a reply or two on this topic. Maybe some of the target
> people are still missing in this list?
>

> On 10/26/2011 09:25 AM, ext Quim Gil wrote:
>> As you might have heard, there will be a Qt Contribution Day in San
>> Francisco on November 29, at the beginning of Qt Dev Days. The goal of
>> the day is to discuss topics related to the Qt Project with an obvious
>> focus on contributions and involvement.
>
> Some ideas of topics that could be scheduled in the Qt Contribution Day:
>
> - Collaboration between the Android port and the Qt Project.
>
> - Collaboration between the iOS port and the Qt Project.

Both of these topics would be very interesting to me, and I would like
to know more. I will do a little reading before I get out there, but
being able to continue using Qt across the two dominant mobile OSes
would be great.

> - How can the Qt Project collaborate better with the big industrial Qt
> users?

As an addition, perhaps how can Qt increase its adoption in big
national labs, similar scientific programs.

> - How can the independent professional developers and the small &
> specialized developer companies get the most of the Qt Project?
>
> - How to empower the grassroots Qt community to promote the Qt Project?
>
> - How to consolidate and grow the local Qt chapters?

I know very little about this area, but it would be something we might
want to foster in our corner of the US.

> As you can see, these are topics that are relevant from a Qt Project and
> contributors point of view, and not really a competition to the Dev days
> agenda. Which of these topics (or other topics you can suggest) do you
> *really* want to see discussed? If I have some guidance then I can put
> my time on inviting the right people to have a good discussion.

One of the big things, which it looks like is being addressed in the
tracks, is how companies can meaningfully contribute to Qt. How much
time/experience is expected from approvers, what is the scope of what
can go in. I am interested in where specialized widgets for
science/engineering might fit (as an addon module I imagine), and how
best to share/integrate these into the Qt ecosystem.

>> Munich had its Contribution Day as well. Any feedback on what works and
>> what can be improved is welcome. Any feedback on the format, topics and
>> even people or organizations you expect to see and work with is also
>> appreciated. The sooner you speak, the better are our chances to
>> accomplish your wishes.
>
> I could only attend to a couple of sessions in the Qt Contribution Day
> in Munich. Feedback from those of you that spent the day upstairs would
> be highly valuable.
>
>> I will keep the discussion and work related with this Day in this list
>> until someone points to a better place. Wiki page with the fruits of the
>> discussion will come once I hit my desk in Sunnyvale, next week. Unless
>> someone is faster than me, that is.
>
> I'll try to start this wiki page, but first I need some flesh.  :)

Once you have a page up I would be happy to take a look. I have now
attended two unconference style events and feel like I am getting a
handle on it. It would be great to hear what thoughts/suggestions
other attendees have.

Marcus