[Interest] Issue painting over child widgets

Murphy, Sean M. sean.murphy at gd-ais.com
Thu Nov 17 16:50:52 CET 2011

I'm trying to create an animation effect for a Photo Booth application, and I'm having trouble getting the animation to paint over child widgets.  Here's the setup:

I've got a QMainWindow with 5 QLabels on it and a QPushButton.  Call the QLabels "camera" and "image1" - "image4".  So the idea is that the "camera" label is always showing a live feed from the digital camera.  When the user presses the pushbutton, a timer starts that snaps four images over a period of time and puts those images in labels "image1" - "image4", respectively.  This all works fine, but I wanted to make it look a little more polished by adding an animation.

So what I'd like to happen is when the timer fires off to grab an image, I want that image to appear to move from the "camera" label to the correct "image" label. So it should appear to jump off from the "camera" label, float over the top of everything, and land on the desired "image" label.

So my first attempt was to override the paintEvent() of my QMainWindow, create a QPainter and use drawPixmap() to draw my floating image.  It's drawing my image, but the image is showing up under all the child widgets, instead of over the top of everything.

Here's my paintEvent() code:

void MainWindow::paintEvent(QPaintEvent *e)
{
    QMainWindow::paintEvent(e);
    if (showMovingPixmap == true)
    {
        QPainter painter(this);
        painter.setClipping(false);
        painter.drawPixmap(movingPixmapXPos,movingPixmapYPos,movingPixmap);
        movingPixmapXPos++;
        movingPixmapYPos++;
    }
}

So what am I missing?  Would it be easier to change my application to have a QGraphicsView as the child widget of the QMainWindow, and do everything on a QGraphicsScene?

Sean