[Interest] Qt 5 worries - A plea for software rendering fallbacks

Schimkowitsch Robert Robert.Schimkowitsch at andritz.com
Thu Oct 27 11:37:26 CEST 2011

Hi all,

I see there's no Qt5-Feedback list up and running, so I'll post here in
the meantime.

I have really big issues with the "OpenGL ES" decision. I have developed
a 2D-graphic engine for Windows (kinda similar to GraphicsView in its
abilities), based on OpenGL.

Over the years, I had tons of trouble with
-) Memory or resource leaks in graphic card drivers
-) Crashes when using Remote Desktop
-) Drivers only working in single monitor mode
-) Issues where the graphic output would look different on a certain
graphic card (an absolute no-go for a technical application that people
depend on)

After battling those issues for several years, I had to drop back to the
Microsoft OpenGL 1.1 software driver. Fortunately, it is  quite fast
enough for what I need. It does have it's flaws, but at least I know
them and can work around them.

Please, take it from someone who has been trough the fires: Provide a
pure software rendering fallback, at least for QWidget and
QGraphicsView-based applications!
Allow the developer to choose this fallback!

It makes all the difference between testing the resulting application
once, or on every graphic card with every driver version a customer
might use. Which is obviously impossible.

Kind regards

Robert Schimkowitsch

This message and any attachments are solely for the use of the intended recipients. They may contain privileged and/or confidential information or other information protected from disclosure. If you are not an intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you received this email in error and that any review, dissemination, distribution or copying of this email and any attachment is strictly prohibited. If you have received this email in error, please contact the sender and delete the message and any attachment from your system.
Thank You.
  ANDRITZ HYDRO GmbH
  Rechtsform/ Legal form: Gesellschaft mit beschrankter Haftung / Corporation
  Firmensitz/ Registered seat: Wien
  Firmenbuchgericht/ Court of registry: Handelsgericht Wien
  Firmenbuchnummer/ Company registration: FN 61833 g
  DVR: 0605077
  UID-Nr.: ATU14756806