[Interest] QtArg

Nikos Chantziaras realnc at gmail.com
Tue Apr 10 20:15:29 CEST 2012

On 10/04/12 17:32, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> On terça-feira, 10 de abril de 2012 17.17.09, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:

>>> There's another one being developed for Qt 5:
>>>
>>> http://qt.gitorious.org/qt/qtbase/commits/cli_parser
>>>
>>> I recommend everyone who has ever developed a parser to join Laszlo's
>>> effort to make sure we meet your needs by Qt 5.1.
>>
>> I'd recommend to support Igor Mironchik instead, since it's for Qt 4,
>> which we will be using for a long time (Qt 5 doesn't work in KDE.)
>
> KDE already has KCmdLineArgs, so KDE doesn't need a Qt 4 solution. It needs a
> Qt 5 solution.

I don't understand.  With that logic, Qt 5 doesn't need a solution
either because KDE will support Qt 5 in the future, and you'll have
KCmdLineArgs too then.

Furthermore, Qt application can't use KDE libraries, because then they
would be KDE applications, not Qt applications.  Qt 4 application run
very nice in KDE.  Qt 5 applications do not (they look very alien).

I prefer a Qt 4 solution, because it will take years for all Linux
distros to come with a KDE that supports Qt 5.  Targeting only Qt 5 is a
mistake.  The solution needs to either be developed for Qt 4 and then
ported to 5, or for 5 and at the same time backported to 4.