[Interest] QtArg

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Wed Apr 11 21:42:36 CEST 2012

On terça-feira, 10 de abril de 2012 20.01.56, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> Well, Apple and Microsoft broke that promise long ago already. The widgets
> are  hardly enough to continue following the style and look and feel of
> their desktop platforms. One codebase without #ifdefs will not look
> completely native in both at the same time. They are now too different for
> the same widgets to be completely native.
>
> If you accept that, then you're forced to have adapted sources for each
> platform. It also follows that a platform that is VERY different from those
> (such as mobile) will also require more adaptations.
>
> That said, note I said adaptations. Using two completely different
> codebases  (Widgets and QML) is not ideal, and we need to fix that.
> Moreover, the QML language itself needs possibly some modifications too to
> support those "minor adaptations" without having to copy files around. It's
> an unsolved issue.
>
> So I repeat again the call for help: if you're interested in seeing this
> happen sooner rather than later, help out. Especially if you're interested
> in  the desktop more than mobile.

Let me just complete this:

While QML for desktop usage isn't available, QtWidgets continues to be fully
supported. It is in Done state in the Qt maturity category. I know many people
associate Done with Deprecated, so let me repeat that it is NOT the case.

Done means that it's supported, you can and should use it if it matches your
needs, important bug fixes will happen and stability is prized above all else.
On the other hand, it means there are no new features usually being worked on
-- minor things might happen every now and then.

Also, a module at the Done level could change back into a more active state,
if enough people with interest do turn up. Just note that stability will still
be prized, so these developers and the new maintainer will need to ensure that
regressions are kept to a strict minimum. I'm sure you all who are currently
using QtWidgets appreciate this need.

Finally, our predictions above might turn out to be wrong, including the one
that QML is the right technology for that. For obvious reasons, we currently
believe those predictions, which is why the effort is placed where it is.

The Qt Project is a meritocracy, as some have reminded me, so enough people
with diverging opinions from what I've stated can make a change.

Which brings me back to my original message in this thread: if you want to
make a change, engage the project, in any capacity and make it happen.