[Interest] Qt 5 requirements: xcb or wayland required

Nikos Chantziaras realnc at gmail.com
Wed Apr 11 22:19:02 CEST 2012

On 11/04/12 22:56, Carl Schumann wrote:
> Qt 5 community,
>
> I notice some documentation that states that the current Qt 5 Alpha
> requires xcb or wayland.   Is this requirement expected to be relaxed in
> future releases?
>
> I am not an expert, so I don't really even understand what xcb or
> wayland's role would be in Qt 5.   But I am at a shop that uses X11 and
> I understand that xcb and wayland maybe newer alternatives to X11.
> Unfortunately, retiring X11 would probably be a big issue around here.

xcb has been around for ages.  Almost everyone uses it, as it's an
improvement over plain Xlib.  It's still X11.  Using xcb does not mean
retiring X11.  Furthermore, Qt already uses xcb.  Just do:

   ldd /usr/lib/qt4/* | grep libxcb

(Or wherever you have the Qt libs installed.)  You'll probably see that
your Qt is using xcb already.