[Interest] query about QT textbooks

André Somers andre at familiesomers.nl
Thu Apr 12 11:37:45 CEST 2012

Op 11-4-2012 13:55, Mark Griffith schreef:

> I'm not totally computer-illiterate - I have reasonable maths skills
> as an ex-economist, and have built several websites unaided in
> straight HTML without using an editing package or code editor. I have
> written simple programs. But I do have a life outside this world, and
> would like to see software documentation conform to the same standards
> of clarity we expect from (say) people who write company annual
> reports to shareholders - which is about the same level of inherent
> complexity that needs to be cleaned up.
You're an economist telling us that annual reports are easy and clear to
read. Well, me, as a non-economist, tend to disagree. I usually have no
idea what all these economic terms are, and just reading an annual
report does not give me a clear picture of the real position of a
company at all. I just lack the knowledge to appreciate all the figures
and understand them in their relations.

It is much the same with programming: you need some background knowledge
to understand a domain document like the Qt documentation. In Qt's case,
the background knowledge includes the basics of object oriented
programming. Documents like these become unreadable for the average and
the advanced user, if they time and time again explain every detail for
the beginner. As others already said: there are separate books and
tutorials for those groups, so they can gain the needed domain knowledge
to be able to read the documentation.

André