[Interest] query about QT textbooks

Till Oliver Knoll till.oliver.knoll at gmail.com
Thu Apr 12 21:26:44 CEST 2012

Am 12.04.2012 um 09:49 schrieb Mark Summerfield <list at qtrac.plus.com>:

> . When I was responsible
> for the Qt documentation (many years ago) I aimed at "at least average
> C++ programmers and smart engineers and scientists with some GUI
> knowledge and an awareness of how Qt worked".

I would like to quickly jump in here and state that the Qt documentation was - and still is - among the TOP 3 REASONS why I started digging into Qt 2.x back at university times and convinced my PhD assistants who overlooked my diploma work to drop the MFC code part (1) of their "3D point-based rendering engine" (written in C) and start using Qt instead.

"You're welcome to do so, but on your own risk!"

After just 2 weeks I had stripped any MFC part away, made the C render engine code compile with a C++ compiler and wrap it into a simple Qt application, including load/save of the 3D "point cloud data" and basic mouse interaction (pan / rotate).

All thanks to the great Qt documentation and excellent documented tutorials and example code (okay, I'm honest: I went straight to the example code and read the documentation later - I'm an engineer ;))

Also when pushing Qt later on in a company I worked for I totally praised the documentation!

And yes, at that time JavaDoc already existed, but compared to the JDK (2) docs the Qt docs were so much superior.

In fact, it was so good that unfortunatelly I never felt the need to buy a book - also thanks to this mailing list :)

(However I received a free copy of the Qt 3 book by Blanchette & Summerfield later on, and it is of the same great quality!)

So thank you Mark and every other technical writer, pretty much 10 years later, for providing such a great entry into Qt and keeping up the Qt docs quality!

Cheers, Oliver

(1) This footnote is hopefully displayed on the same page as the previous text.

(2) For economists and other "IT decision makers": JDK stands for Java Development Kit. Java is an interpreted... ah no: "Java is cool! It is so cool that Oracle bought Sun because of it. Trust me: you should be buying at least 100 Oracle shares tomorrow!"