[Interest] thanks for extra reading suggestions - sorry to insult technical writers

Syam Krishnan syamcr at gmail.com
Tue Apr 17 15:59:00 CEST 2012

On 04/17/2012 12:09 PM, Graeme Gill wrote:
> Syam Krishnan wrote:
>
>> So, the idea that writing software is more complex than designing an
>> electronic circuit is just based on lack of knowledge/experience on
>> electronics.
> I don't think so. I'm an electronics engineer, who happens to do
> a lot of programming.
Same here.

> So while there is a lot more detail in designing an analog circuit,
> it will typically have many orders of magnitude fewer components than
> a digital circuit or piece of software. The overall complexity ends up
> about the same, because if you are slacking, someone else will eat your
> lunch!
I was responding to the notion that boolean logic ("fairly easy to
understand to every first year student")
is all there is to electronics. Oliver seemed to imply that all
electronics is implementation of some boolean logic
and everything there is to know ("how to compute voltage"?) is covered
in any 'software engineering study'!

Even though a digital circuit has lot of components, I think they are
generally simpler to design than analog circuits. Most of the components
will
simply work when connected together (of course, there is the design
part). The complexity comes when the speed increases - but then again,
aren't most of those problems are actually in analog domain rather than
purely digital?

regards,

Syam