[Interest] Qt5 & QX11EmbedContainer?

R. Reucher rene.reucher at batcom-it.net
Thu Apr 19 18:36:54 CEST 2012

On Thursday 19 April 2012 14:01:57 Thiago Macieira wrote:
> The development list is right next to this one. It's development at qt-
> project.org. Make sure you subscribe so you receive the replies.
>
> The code is what you already have :-)
Yep, understood :)! I just meant if anyone has already started with something
related, I might pick it up...

> But we recommend you download the sources from Git. The instructions are on
> the wikis.
Yeah, I already took them! So I'm prepared...

> > OK, given my current schedule, I can only start working on this at the
> > weekend... but I would love to get that feature back, if possible BEFORE
> > Qt 5 gets released!
>
> That's unlikely, but not impossible.
>
> Qt 5.0 is feature-frozen already, so we cannot accept the code into qtbase.
> However, you're more than free to start working on a new module, even if by
> 5.1 we move it into qtbase. That way, you make your own schedule and you
> could release it by 5.0 time too.
OK, we'll see how things work out...

> > But anyway, a platform independent 'replacement' should follow after that
> > I guess... I've already implemented equivalent functionality on Windows,
> > just not as a seperate class. Haven't done any embedder code for Mac OS
> > X, yet, but that should also be possible.
>
> It might not be possible. To embed something from another process, you
> definitely need to communicate with that process about some
> platform-specific handles and IDs. Depending on how much is
> platform-specific, having a platform- independent wrapper might not make
> sense.
I know this, but it's still possible to do similar things on Windows (I did).
However, it's a 'sreious hack' since there's nothing equivalent to XEmbed on
that platform, so you have to trick it with Windows calls.

In any case, the first goal is to revive the X11Embed-classes...

I'll join the development mailing list soon.

Thanks, René