[Interest] Qt5 & QX11EmbedContainer?

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Thu Apr 19 14:01:57 CEST 2012

On quarta-feira, 18 de abril de 2012 21.22.49, R. Reucher wrote:
> On Wednesday 18 April 2012 20:50:01 Girish Ramakrishnan wrote:
> > > Asked differently... is there a general / platform-independent
> > > replacement for it? THAT would be cool :)!
> >
> > There's no platform independent replacement. But on the development
> > list, we have mostly agreed on creating a platform specific addon
> > modules. So, QX11Embed classes should appear there at some point. If
> > you are interested in taking this up, please propose it on the
> > development list.
>
> Sure, I'd be very interested! Also to contribute somehow, if that's what
> you're asking for. I already have a Qt Project account... what next? Where
> is that development list? Where is the code (if any) :)!

The development list is right next to this one. It's development at qt-
project.org. Make sure you subscribe so you receive the replies.

The code is what you already have :-)

But we recommend you download the sources from Git. The instructions are on
the wikis.

> OK, given my current schedule, I can only start working on this at the
> weekend... but I would love to get that feature back, if possible BEFORE Qt
> 5 gets released!

That's unlikely, but not impossible.

Qt 5.0 is feature-frozen already, so we cannot accept the code into qtbase.
However, you're more than free to start working on a new module, even if by
5.1 we move it into qtbase. That way, you make your own schedule and you could
release it by 5.0 time too.

> But anyway, a platform independent 'replacement' should follow after that I
> guess... I've already implemented equivalent functionality on Windows, just
> not as a seperate class. Haven't done any embedder code for Mac OS X, yet,
> but that should also be possible.

It might not be possible. To embed something from another process, you
definitely need to communicate with that process about some platform-specific
handles and IDs. Depending on how much is platform-specific, having a platform-
independent wrapper might not make sense.