[Interest] Contributor agreement rundown

Till Oliver Knoll till.oliver.knoll at gmail.com
Thu Apr 19 22:16:56 CEST 2012

Am 19.04.2012 um 19:43 schrieb Nikos Chantziaras <realnc at gmail.com>:

> In my apps, I provide "OK/Apply/Cancel" buttons in dialogs with settings under KDE.  When running in Gnome however, all settings apply instantly when changes, and the dialog only has a "Close" button.

Yes, that makes sense to me.

However that sounds like a lot of cluttered if-else-if code and lot of work: basically each time you modify a widget you have to decide whether to apply the changes immediatelly or wait until the user approves them with OK (Apply).

Well, maybe there's a simple and elegant solution to that: a platform-specific "signal handler" which re-emits or not the signals, depending on whether to act upon changes immediatelly or not... or whatever... haven't thought about it yet :)

And that wouldn't probably be limited to just the Settings dialog, but basically to any dialog in the application, no?

Well, I agree, "love for the detail" - but most applications probably don't go that extra mile.

> Furthermore, there can be differences in the titles of menus and shortcuts.

As for common shortcuts (Save, Close, Quit, ...) Qt /does/ provide a set which are platform-dependent:

http://qt-project.org/doc/qt-4.8/qkeysequence.html#standard-shortcuts

And yes, they /do/ differentiate between Gnome and KDE already ;)

However I think there is really no standard shortcut for" fullscreen" yet. I think because there's no "stable" standard yet even across the same platform - even Apple hasn't reached a final conclusion what it should be (I think currently it is CMD + Shift + F on Lion - or was it just CMD + F?).

> The Fullscreen shortcut for example needs to be "Ctrl+F11" in Gnome and "F11" or "Shift+Ctrl+F" in KDE.

F11 /or/ Shift+... there you go ;)

Cheers,
  Oliver