[Interest] Contributor agreement rundown

Nikos Chantziaras realnc at gmail.com
Thu Apr 19 22:27:21 CEST 2012

On 19/04/12 23:16, Till Oliver Knoll wrote:

> Am 19.04.2012 um 19:43 schrieb Nikos Chantziaras<realnc at gmail.com>:
>>
>> In my apps, I provide "OK/Apply/Cancel" buttons in dialogs with
>> settings under KDE.  When running in Gnome however, all settings
>> apply instantly when changes, and the dialog only has a "Close"
>> button.
>
> Yes, that makes sense to me.
>
> However that sounds like a lot of cluttered if-else-if code and lot
> of work: basically each time you modify a widget you have to decide
> whether to apply the changes immediatelly or wait until the user
> approves them with OK (Apply).

It's not difficult.  You can make every setting apply instantly with
only one call to a function that does the signal connections.  It looks
like this:

http://qtads.git.sourceforge.net/git/gitweb.cgi?p=qtads/qtads;a=blob;f=src/confdialog.cc;h=d37609154d37949128d9218bfaf472d8c05f9eef;hb=HEAD#l199

> Well, I agree, "love for the detail" - but most applications probably
> don't go that extra mile.

Applications should follow the human interface guidelines of the systems
they target.

> However I think there is really no standard shortcut for" fullscreen"
> yet. I think because there's no "stable" standard yet even across the
> same platform - even Apple hasn't reached a final conclusion what it
> should be (I think currently it is CMD + Shift + F on Lion - or was
> it just CMD + F?).

There is a standard shortcut.  It described in the human interface
guidelines of each platform.  You can google them.

>> The Fullscreen shortcut for example needs to be "Ctrl+F11" in Gnome
>> and "F11" or "Shift+Ctrl+F" in KDE.
>
> F11 /or/ Shift+... there you go ;)

I didn't get that.  What do you mean?

Anyway, you still think Qt should not tell applications in which DE it's
running because you disagree that apps need to adapt to different DEs,
or that's it not useful to do so?  You didn't make that clear so I'm not
sure what your reply is suggesting.