[Interest] Well there goes Nokia

Arnold Krille arnold at arnoldarts.de
Wed Aug 1 22:20:17 CEST 2012

On Wed, 01 Aug 2012 21:14:07 +0200 Thiago Macieira
<thiago.macieira at intel.com> wrote:
> On quarta-feira, 1 de agosto de 2012 11.32.29, Jason H wrote:
> > Would I?
> >
> > I'm no expert at making money, however I think that if there was an
> > organization staffed with people who could modify Qt and interested
> > companies that companies could contract for the desired
> > modifications. The problem is playing nice with the open
> > governance. And you could also offer sponsored development
> > projects. Heck, use some crowd funding to cooperatively bust
> > through some barriers. True, companies could contract directly, but
> > they would have to be more hands-on and if there was a company they
> > could centrally manage development so there is no overlap during
> > simultaneous projects.
>
> That depends on the size of this company.
>
> Do you want a small company to do some development and keep some
> level of CI running? That requires a certain amount of funds and
> contracting.
>
> Do you want a company that has all the current developers and
> marketing and community and sysadmin, keeping the CI system at the
> current level and expand it, and continue hiring, and run Qt
> Developer Days and the Summit and everything else? That requires a
> lot more funding.

Maybe someone like intel realizing that their ultra-books would be
ultra-cool if they had a feature-rich yet power-saving OS and gui based
on Qt and meego (or whatever its current project-name is, I lost track)?

Have fun,

Arnold

Disclosure: We are an intel-reseller...