[Interest] Digia to acquire Qt from Nokia

Bo Thorsen bo at fioniasoftware.dk
Mon Aug 13 14:23:49 CEST 2012

Den 13-08-2012 13:57, Atlant Schmidt skrev:
>    Apparently, the price Digia paid for the rest of Qt was
>    EUR4m (US$4.9m).
>
>    That's quite a mark-down from the US$150m Nokia paid to
>    buy Trolltech in 2008!
>
> http://www.financial-news.co.uk/6900/2012/08/finnish-handset-maker-nokia-exits-its-qt-business-at-a-e146m-loss/

What a silly article.

First, the real price should of course include whatever Digia already
paid Nokia for the right to the commercial licenses.

Second, I'll bet you the cost of using and developing Qt and the Qt
based phones at Nokia *far* outweighs the remaining price.

Third, the article fails to mention that Nokia ruined every attempt at
selling Qt at a decent price, when they sold the license rights to Digia.

Conclusion: That article is written by some incompetent financial
reporter that looked at the two numbers available to him and decided he
could earn his paycheck without any effort.

The value of what's left of Trolltech - what Digia has now - is far
higher than 4 mio €.

What I do read in this article, though, is that Digia made a couple of
great deals combined :)

Bo Thorsen,
Fionia Software.

--