[Interest] Digia to acquire Qt from Nokia

Atlant Schmidt aschmidt at dekaresearch.com
Mon Aug 13 16:00:25 CEST 2012

BRM:

> If you only try to look at the value that one company can
> extract from a software product, then you're not looking
> at its full value. The majority of work is done in fixing
> bugs to it; and no one company is going to do that right
> in a way that meets the community. Look at Qt and all the
> contractors able to help it - from Intel to Nokia to Digia
> to nearly anyone that will sign the CLA. Or look at the
> Linux Kernel.

  But that's oblique to the point I was making. I
  don't doubt for a moment that many folks can make
  money off of an open-sourced project; obviously
  many (most?) folks here on the list are doing
  exactly that!

  But the original owner of a proprietary software
  product who then takes it "open sourced" seems to
  invariable take a bath, flushing essentially all
  of their investment in that product down the drain.
  And this is what Nokia has just done; in the course
  of just four years, they destroyed essentially all
  of their investors' capital that was invested in
  acquiring Trolltech.

                              Atlant