[Interest] Digia to acquire Qt from Nokia

Rui Maciel rui.maciel at gmail.com
Mon Aug 13 16:13:58 CEST 2012

On 08/13/2012 03:00 PM, Atlant Schmidt wrote:
>    But the original owner of a proprietary software
>    product who then takes it "open sourced" seems to
>    invariable take a bath, flushing essentially all
>    of their investment in that product down the drain.
>    And this is what Nokia has just done; in the course
>    of just four years, they destroyed essentially all
>    of their investors' capital that was invested in
>    acquiring Trolltech.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but when Nokia bought Trolltech, Qt was already
released under a FLOSS license.  I would even bet that Trolltech's
success was largely owed to the decision of licensing Qt under a FLOSS
license.  Therefore, if Nokia, as you claimed, destroyed all of their
investor's capital, it surely wasn't due to Qt's FLOSS license.  Hence,
you need to come up with another scapegoat.

Rui Maciel