[Interest] Digia to acquire Qt from Nokia

R. Reucher rene.reucher at batcom-it.net
Mon Aug 13 16:16:17 CEST 2012

On Monday 13 August 2012 16:00:25 Atlant Schmidt wrote:
>   But the original owner of a proprietary software
>   product who then takes it "open sourced" seems to
>   invariable take a bath, flushing essentially all
>   of their investment in that product down the drain.
>   And this is what Nokia has just done; in the course
>   of just four years, they destroyed essentially all
>   of their investors' capital that was invested in
>   acquiring Trolltech.
As far as I remember, there was already a free (open source) and a commercial
license at the time Nokia bought TrollTech, and the code-bases were
(mostly/completely?) the same... so Nokia didn't buy any "closed source
software", but jumped on the open source / community driven model and should
have learned how to make money in this area / from it (which Digia made
instead of them since Nokia apparently weren't intersted in commercial
support).

I see no major difference to the situation today. It's not the open source
nature pf the software but the business model which decides if you can be
financially successful with it or not.

René