[Interest] Digia to acquire Qt from Nokia

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Mon Aug 13 16:38:44 CEST 2012

On segunda-feira, 13 de agosto de 2012 15.28.35, Rui Maciel wrote:
> On 08/13/2012 03:14 PM, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> > So, in all, you*may*  be right that giving a product under a freer licence
> > lowers its monetary value -- it's intuitive.
>
> That is also debatable.  For example, Red Hat manages to pull an annual
> revenue of around 1 billion dollars while giving away their product
> under a FLOSS license.  I really doubt they could pull this off if they
> had based their business on a stack of proprietary software.  After all,
> what's the monetary value of something that no one wants to spend money on?

I'm saying that this process is intuitive:

	asset X available under licence L1 is valued at $Y
	change to use licence L2, which allows more people to obtain X for free
	asset X is now valued at $Z
	since more people obtain it for free instead of paying for it, Z < Y.

But intuition isn't necessarily correct. In particular, I agree with the
arguments you and others have brought up that the use of a freer licence has
other, potential benefits, which might increase the value of the asset.