[Interest] Digia to acquire Qt from Nokia

Atlant Schmidt aschmidt at dekaresearch.com
Tue Aug 14 15:00:28 CEST 2012

Bob:

> Wait a sec... wasn't that because Nokia bought a highly valuable
> toolkit, got a lot of testing and probably even bug fixes "for
> free" from the community, had a gazillion of Qt developers just
> waiting to unleash their creativity on Nokia phones... and then
> decided NOT to use it by going Windows mobile exclusively? Wasn't
> THAT the reason they failed with Qt?

  That's not exactly how it played out. By the time of Symbian^3,
  Qt was a standard feature of Nokia's Symbian phones. Anna and
  Belle also contained it as standard.

  And if I'm not mistaken, by that time, hadn't Nokia switched
  over to using a Qt-based Web browser on Symbian? How many of
  the software's other standard apps had been switched to Qt-
  based designs? (The plan certainly was to switch all of them,
  but I left Nokia before the changeover was accomplished.)

  Nokia didn't exactly throw away Qt without ever deploying it.

                                    Atlant