[Interest] Qt5 - my hopes for when the dust settles...

Konstantin Tokarev annulen at yandex.ru
Thu Aug 16 12:59:21 CEST 2012

16.08.2012, 13:54, "Mark Summerfield" <list at qtrac.plus.com>:
> Hi,
>
> I hope that Digia proves to be a good steward of Qt---for Qt/Desktop
> users as well as for Qt/Mobile users!
>
> Here are some of the things I'd like to see in a future Qt.*
>
> - A full C++ API for all the things that currently can only be done
>   using QML/JavaScript so that everything can be programmed purely in
>   C++ (or purely in whatever language you have bindings for).

+1

> - An introspection API similar in spirit to the one provided by Gtk+
>   which is specifically designed to make it as straightforward as
>   possible to add language bindings to Qt.

Do you want every field to be a property and every method to be a slot?
You can have it right now. It just destroys some optimizations which
C++ compilers can do, e.g. elimination of unused or fully-inlined methods.

> - One or more official language bindings using the introspection API,
>   e.g., for Python and for Java.
>
>   (This is not a criticism of PySide; indeed I personally prefer using
>    Python, but I think that it would be better if Qt provided a more
>    language-agnostic---and uniform---approach to language bindings.)

I think Michal Kottman (maintainer of lqt project) is doing the right thing (tm):
Clang-based binding generator [1]. In theory it should work for any target
language, and you don't need any introspection API at all.

[1] https://github.com/mkottman/luaclang-parser

--
Regards,
Konstantin