[Interest] Qt5 - my hopes for when the dust settles...

Rui Maciel rui.maciel at gmail.com
Thu Aug 16 15:43:57 CEST 2012

On 08/16/2012 11:47 AM, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> 1) std::string is broken with GCC. The devs had to break binary compatibility
> between C++98 and C++11. Therefore, you should either:
>    a) REQUIRE C++11 and require a reasonably recent GCC (4.6 and up)
>    b) stop using std::string
>
>   I highly suggest you choose (a).
>
>   Also note that Qt chose (b), so we're not affected by this issue.
>

> 2) there's nothing wrong with the conversion between QString and std::string

After reading your post I've performed a small test to evaluate how the
current incantation of Qt (v4.8.1) and g++ (v4.6.3) handled conversions
between objects of type QString and std::string, and it appears that
QString::toStdString() and QString::fromStdString() now work as
expected.  Nicely done.

Rui Maciel