[Interest] Digia to acquire Qt from Nokia

Atlant Schmidt aschmidt at dekaresearch.com
Thu Aug 16 13:12:23 CEST 2012

Sascha:

> You do know that FSF purists like Stallmann actually
> invented the LGPL as a means of making glibc more
> attractive to developers?

  It wasn't done for glibc; that's licensed under
  yet-another set of terms and conditions. But your
  main point is correct: The "Library" GPL (now
  "Lesser") GPL was developed to ease the onerous
  terms imposed by the GPL.

> >   Unfortunately, as has already been mentioned by several
> >   other folks, the fact that a given piece of software is
> >   licensed under the terms of the (L)GPL is a huge factor
> >   arguing against its use in several industries. The more-
> >   open licenses (BSD, MIT, etc.) are free from the large
> >   burdens that (L)GPL imposes for disclosure, upgrade-
> >   ability, extensive ongoing code analysis, and the like.
>
> Amusingly, you seem here to try to prove against your own initial statement:
> IF Nokia had relicensed Qt under a BSD, MIT, PD or any similar Do-What-The-
> Fuck-You-Want-To-License [1], THEN they would really have _destroyed_ the
> monetary value of Qt beyond repair.

  Please don't distort my argument. My argument, boiled down,
  is that switching to any open-source licensing approach
  destroys the owner's direct value in a software property.
  I don't argue whether that's GPL, LGPL, or the actually-
  free licenses.

  But if we're arguing for "secondary value", utility to an
  expanded market and user base, and the like, then the
  truly-free licenses are a far better choice than any
  of the (L)GPL or Mozilla licenses.

  (And it's pretty clear that, through a variety of means,
  Nokia *DID* destroy all of their invested value in Qt;
  there's no "would have" about it.)

                                   Atlant