[Interest] memory fragmentation?

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Mon Aug 20 18:10:42 CEST 2012

On segunda-feira, 20 de agosto de 2012 08.51.02, Jason H wrote:
> What can be done to combat this in C++/Qt?

In Qt, very little. We're not going to change the programming paradigm.

In C++, a bit more. You can write code with special allocators.

You can also change the implementation of malloc(), so it behaves differently.
For example, a slab allocator might help. Or it might make things worse.
malloc() isn't the way it is because the devs are stupid and didn't realise
the issue. It's like that because this is a very hard problem.

> I've got a very long process that I want to protect against this. Switching
> to 64bit is not an option for at least another 10 years.

Nonsense. Any application using a gigabyte or more of memory should HAVE
SWITCHED to 64-bit a couple of years ago.