[Interest] memory fragmentation?

Rainer Wiesenfarth Rainer_Wiesenfarth at trimble.com
Tue Aug 21 11:53:45 CEST 2012

Am 21.08.2012 09:52, schrieb Thiago Macieira:
> On segunda-feira, 20 de agosto de 2012 17.31.27, John Weeks wrote:
>> On 20-Aug-2012, at 4:20 PM, Thiago Macieira wrote:
>>> In any case, if the application needs memory and can't get it, what do you
>>> suggest it do?
>>
>> You put up an alert telling the user that the operation can't be completed
>> due to insufficient memory,
>
> How? Putting up an alert usually requires allocating memory somewhere, be it
> in your application or in the display server.

Look at the various solutions used as "new handlers". For example, you
could pre-allocate some amount of memory and an open file handle / some
NVRAM space / ... for "panic actions".

> If we're already out of memory, the likelihood of another set of allocations
> succeeding is quite low. Not to mention that, by the time you do run out of
> memory, the chances are that the system has been swapping hard for several
> minutes. The user will have likely pressed the Reset button long ago.

On systems that support swap space, this may hold true - as long as the
system is not configured to use none...

For safety critical systems, these definitely are issues to address - if
Qt is a suitable framework for these kind of applications is a different
topic...

Back on topic: There are third party memory allocators for various
purposes that might do a better job than the one bundled with the OS.
But the gap narrows.

Best Regards / Mit freundlichen Grüßen
Rainer Wiesenfarth

--
Tel.: +49 (0)711 22 88-10  *  Fax: +49 (0)711 22 88-111
Web: http://www.trimble.com/geospatial/  *  http://www.inpho.de/