[Interest] memory fragmentation?

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Tue Aug 21 09:52:50 CEST 2012

On segunda-feira, 20 de agosto de 2012 17.31.27, John Weeks wrote:
> On 20-Aug-2012, at 4:20 PM, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> > In any case, if the application needs memory and can't get it, what do you
> > suggest it do?
>
> You put up an alert telling the user that the operation can't be completed
> due to insufficient memory,

How? Putting up an alert usually requires allocating memory somewhere, be it
in your application or in the display server.

If we're already out of memory, the likelihood of another set of allocations
succeeding is quite low. Not to mention that, by the time you do run out of
memory, the chances are that the system has been swapping hard for several
minutes. The user will have likely pressed the Reset button long ago.