[Interest] Problem Building QT 5.0 RC1 on Redhat Enterprise

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Fri Dec 7 16:59:15 CET 2012

On sexta-feira, 7 de dezembro de 2012 15.47.39, Christoph Cullmann wrote:
> > 07.12.2012, 16:46, "Christoph Cullmann" <cullmann at absint.com>:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > we need to build Qt5 on still supported RedHat Enterprise Release
> > > 4.
> > >
> > > After building enough other new stuff needed as dependencies on
> > > such a machine, we run into this in WebKit2:
> > >
> > > Platform/unix/SharedMemoryUnix.cpp: In static member function
> > > 'static WTF::PassRefPtr<WebKit::SharedMemory>
> > > WebKit::SharedMemory::create(size_t)':
> > > Platform/unix/SharedMemoryUnix.cpp:110:66: error: 'O_CLOEXEC' was
> > > not declared in this scope
> > >
> > > Problem is O_CLOEXEC is only around for newer kernel versions than
> > > in this distro (and newer shipped headers).
> > >
> > > Any patch chances?
> >
> > Do you really need WebKit2 on RHEL 4? You can try to build
> > WebKit1-only, or just omit QtWebKit altogether.
>
> I mean, I can skip it, but it would be nice to be able to build all qt
> modules on a LSB 3 distro, or?

Not really, that's way too old. Do not expect us to provide fixes for LSB 3.
There are people interested in keeping LSB 4 working, though.

In the specific case of O_CLOEXEC, I'd recommend this simple fix:

#ifndef O_CLOEXEC
#  define O_CLOEXEC 0
#endif

The file descriptor will leak to sub-processes, but you deserve that if you're
using a kernel that old.