[Interest] Experience with Qt 5 RC 1 on Mac OS X 10.8

Till Oliver Knoll till.oliver.knoll at gmail.com
Sat Dec 8 11:55:12 CET 2012

Hello all,

first many thanks and a huge congratulation to the team and all the
efforts spent on finalising Qt 5!

First and foremost: since my last experiments with Qt 5 (Beta 1) I've
seen HUGE IMPROVEMENTS with regars to graphics: So far I did not see ANY
graphics glitch (such as parts of the main window not being redrawn
etc.) in my own application!

There are a few minor points, such as in a property dialog the close
button is not activated anymore (probably a question of setting the
proper window flags which might have changed semantics now) or the file
dialog does not return to the "last known location" (QSettings
related?). But I need to confirm in my own code first before creating a
corresponding issue (which for sure would be no deal-breaker for the
upcoming final Qt 5).

There are however two more points:

* What is the status of the "native Mac toolbar"? I remember that this
is a separate ongoing project - any news about that?

* A bit more troublesome: gestures seem to be completely gone from
QGraphicsView! I support pinch ("zoom") and rotate gestures (again, I
need to check my own code first - however it does compile, as before in
Qt 4.8 with respect to gesture support), however my items do not react
to either gesture anymore

* In Qt Creator 2.6, the help system does not show any HTML rendered
pages anymore, but I remember having read somewhere (Qt Blog?) that
QtWebKit still has issues (to be build?) on Mac, so this must be a know
issue already.

Especially I wonder about gesture support on QGraphicsView - is this a
known issue/work in progress? Is this supposed to work?

Apart from that I'd like to repeat how painless it was (coding-wise) to
port my application from Qt 4.8 to 5.0. All code was straight-forward to
replace by the corresponding Qt 5 API (and there were very little such
changes). To be more specific: I have a small-sized application
consisting of QWidgets ("side-bar", a few dialogs), QGraphicsView/Scene,
drag and drop, QImage related graphics operations, XML parsing, project
consists of several libraries, file operations.

Cheers, Oliver