[Interest] Problem configuring Qt 5 on Windows

andy fillebrown andy.fillebrown at gmail.com
Thu Dec 20 14:16:33 CET 2012

On Thu, Dec 20, 2012 at 7:54 AM, Koehne Kai <Kai.Koehne at digia.com> wrote:
>> Subject: Re: [Interest] Problem configuring Qt 5 on Windows
>>
>> I am running the following command from the top level directory after
>> commenting out line 45 in qtbase/configure ...
>
> I assume you meant configure.bat
>
>> echo y | configure ^
>> -opensource ^
>> -fast ^
>> -platform win32-g++ ^
>> -dont-process ^
>> -opengl desktop ^
>> -nomake tests ^
>> -nomake tools ^
>> -nomake examples ^
>> -nomake demos ^
>> -nomake translations
>>

> There are no separate demos any more, so that's superfluous.  Anyway, that doesn't do any harm.

Ok, good to know.  It would be nice if the -nomake <xxx> flags were
documented in configure -help.

> I haven't used "-fast" and "-dont-process" myself, maybe that one causes problems.
>
>>I then run qmake on the qtsdk.pro with the following command ...
>>
>> qtbase\bin\qmake.exe ^
>> -r ^
>> -Wnone ^
>> qtsdk.pro ^
>> CONFIG*=silent ^
>> -after ^
>> CONFIG*=warn_off
>
> You don't have to run qmake on your own (and you shouldn't). Just run mingw32-make / jom.

I use -dont-process and run qmake myself because I don't know of any
other way to avoid the wall of gcc output and warnings.  I'm not even
sure -fast does anything.  I just put it in there because configure
-help listed it as an option and I like things to be fast.

>> Note that these are simplified versions of the commands.  I'm actually
>> doing shadow builds but that doesn't look like it's a problem.
>
>> Also note that the Qt4 qmake step would generate makefiles for the
>> examples, too, but I didn't mind because there weren't that many and
>> they didn't get built during make.  With Qt5 all the tests are having
>> makefiles generated, too.  I haven't gotten far enough into the make
>> step to know if they're actually going to be compiled or not, but I'm
>> assuming they will follow the same behavior in Qt4 and they won't be
>> built.
>>
>> If you really think using the .zip file will make a difference then
>> I'll try it, but I'm pretty sure I'll get the same results.  Qmake
>> will still generate a makefile for everything, regardless of what I
>> specify in the configure step.
>
> Agreed, the .zip file just contains the configure.exe you've been missing. Anyhow, may I suggest starting with the known and tried process in README before refining it ?

I will do that after the current build finishes.

> Regards
>
> Kai
>
> PS: jom also works fine with MinGW, so this is a great way to speed up compilation.

Is jom faster than mingw32-make -j2 on a dual core cpu?  I suspect it is not.

~ af