[Interest] Qt5/eglfs on a standard linux desktop system

Jon Trulson jon at radscan.com
Wed Feb 8 23:42:07 CET 2012

Hi, I want to experiment with Qt5, eglfs and the linux input event
drivers (mouse for example) on a standard linux system.

It's a 32b Ubuntu 11.10 system with an Nvidia GeForce 8600GT running
the opensource driver (nouveau).

I deally, I'd like to do this without X11, but I can start there if
that helps.

I have built Qt5, and the eglfs module, but have run into a few
problems/questions.

Qt 5 is the latest from qit (gitorious), checked out today
(origin/master).

1. Running an example like 'animatedtiles -platform eglfs' results in:

   symbol lookup error: /opt/qt-5.0/plugins/platforms/libqeglfs.so:
   undefined symbol: eglBindAPI

  I can fix this by adding the following to eglfs.pro:

   linux-* {
    LIBS += -lEGL
   }

  ...so that libEGL is added to the requied list for this module.  I
  don't know if this is the correct fix, but it gets past that issue.

2. With this issue fixed, attempting to rerun the demo (via sudo),
results in :

   8<----------------------------------------------------
   Opened display 0x9125ac0

   Initialized display 1 4

   8<----------------------------------------------------

  And then it just hangs in a select loop (according to strace).

  Running without sudo yields an error like:

  8<----------------------------------------------------
   Opened display 0x82fcac0

   libEGL warning: failed to open /dev/dri/card0
   libEGL warning: DRI2: could not open /dev/dri/card0 (Permission denied)
   Initialized display 1 4

   Could not create the egl surface: error = 0x3003

   EGL error
   Aborted
  8<----------------------------------------------------

  Is it possible to run/test eglfs on a standard linux system?

3. Ideally, I'd like to not use X11 at all, ie via linuxfb, however
that module does not build in current qt5.

So, in conclusion, can anyone offer some advice and/or pointers?
Eventually I will be doing this on an embedded arm based box, but I'd
like to start with 'known' quantities before I begin.

Thanks for any help.

--
Jon Trulson

"Get the cheese to sickbay, the Doctor should look at it as soon as
  possible." -- Chief Engineer B'Elanna Torres, Voyager