[Interest] Installing Qt SDK Problem Summary

Szalata, Zenon M. zms at slac.stanford.edu
Thu Feb 23 06:11:34 CET 2012

This is a summary of what I found regarding the problems that I have experienced installing qt using the Qt_SDK installer, which I previously posted on this forum.

The computer has RedHat Enterprise Linux 6 64bit OS installed.
The installed RedHat distribution includes Qt 3.3 and Qt 4.6.2.
On 2/16/2012 I successfully installed Qt SDK 4.8; qt creator worked.
On 2/17/2012 qt creator no longer worked, it would core dump on startup.  The core dump indicated that the problem occurred in libqsqlite.so/sqlite3Step ().
It turns out that at 2AM on 2/17/2012 auto installer upgraded qt-sqlite and qt-mysql packages among others in the RedHat installation.  That seems to have broken my SDK installation.  If true that is pretty wild.

Today I logged to this computer using an account that had no prior history of qt installations.  In fact it even did not have ~/.config directory.  I then proceeded to install qt using the Qt_SDK 4.8 online installer.  The installation succeeded without errors.  Qt creator works.  However, in creator
Tools/Options/Build & Run/ Qt Versions the RedHat qt 4.6 was listed.

Heartened by this success, I proceeded to attempt installing qt using the Qt-SDK installer from my account.  Early on in the installation process, it crashed.  Well, my account has by now a long history of qt installations.  Obviously, the highly automated installation process is not working for me.  If my interpretation of what is happening is correct, then I claim that the installer should ignore existing installations.  During the installation process I saw no options to tell the installer not to snoop.
So, I have to conclude that the Qt_SDK installer is broken and can't be used reliably.

I suppose if I deleted ~/.config/Nokia from my home directory, then the installation would succeed.  However, it is very likely that the installation would break next time RedHat upgraded some component in its qt installation.

I suppose, one way that I can deal with this is to uninstall both RedHat qt installations.  I am reluctant to do this because I am not sure why they are there in the first place.  Does KDE need these?  Besides, it seems wrong that I can't install my own version of qt and have it working independently of what RedHat might do with its installations.

Hopefully, someone will correct me if my interpretation is faulty or if I am correct the problem gets fixed.

Another observation.  The qt creator from the SDK installation prints
QPixmap::handle(): Pixmap is not an X11 class pixmap
messages, while qt creator build from sources does not.

By the way, I need my own Qt installation, since I customize it to work with EPICS software package.  This is done by adding a number of plugins which allow qt widgets to communicate with EPICS applications using the Epics Channel Access mechanism.

Thanks,
Zen