[Interest] Disabling RAS image support.

Jason Cipriani jason.cipriani at gmail.com
Sun Feb 26 16:44:21 CET 2012

I have an application (Qt 4.7.4) that reads QImages from a QDataStream
backed by a QTcpSocket.

Each time it reads an image it prints "Reading ras files from sequential
devices not supported" to stderr.

A Google search reveals a code snippet from KDE ras handlers at
http://www.oschina.net/code/explore/kde-4.5.4/kdelibs-4.5.4/kimgio/ras.cpp,
lines 217 - 227 read:

217 bool RASHandler::canRead(QIODevice *device)
218 {
219    if (!device) {
220        qWarning("RASHandler::canRead() called with no device");
221        return false;
222    }
223
224    if (device->isSequential()) {
225        qWarning("Reading ras files from sequential devices not
supported");
226        return false;
227        }

I'm not familiar with the Qt but I presume it runs through handler
canRead()'s when attempting to guess the image data format. It's bothersome
that whoever wrote that bit of code deemed that message worthy of a
qWarning.

Anyways, I'd like to not have this message show up. It's causing a lot of
clutter in my logs.

Is there any way to programmatically disable support for ras images in Qt?
(I say programmatically because I don't know anything about Qt image
drivers, so I'm not sure if this support is dependent on libraries
installed on the user's machine, and if it is, uninstalling them is not an
option).

Alternatively, what is the format of a QImage in a QDataStream
(QDataStream::Qt_4_7)? Can I somehow explicitly tell Qt which format to use
instead of having it guess?

If I can't disable ras support somehow, my other option is to filter out
that specific log message in my message handler, but I'd rather not take
that path if I can help it.

Thanks!
Jason