[Interest] Providing custom lib with static Qt modules (so no Qt dependency)

Bo Thorsen bo at fioniasoftware.dk
Tue Feb 28 20:09:18 CET 2012

Den 28-02-2012 19:36, Bob Hood skrev:
> On 2/28/2012 10:53 AM, Bo Thorsen wrote:
>> Den 28-02-2012 18:16, Atlant Schmidt skrev:
>>>     All this may not apply to you if you're distributing
>>>     Qt under the Commercial license.
>>
>> AFAIR, you're not allowed to redistribute the commercial licensed Qt.
>
> Um, what?  I thought that was at least part of the reason why one would
> purchase a commercial license in the first place, so you can redistribute your
> use of Qt in any form you like (shared or static).  The other part would be
> support.  Am I just misunderstanding what you're trying to say?

Sorry, I should have been more precise with this (someone else already
asked the same in a private mail).

You are of course allowed to distribute a product based on Qt, but the
OP wanted to develop a library, which means this would be a derived
development product based on Qt, and that's where I think the license
stops you. Otherwise, he could sell off Qt licensed only to him.

It might be that he could make a deal with Digia to do this, where a
commercial Qt license would be bundled, or something like it.

And here's another reason it's a really bad idea: The Qt version would
be locked to the static build provided with the library. So if you have
a Qt problem that can only be solved by a patch or an upgrade, you're
out of luck. I personally wouldn't even consider buying such a product.
Add-on libraries to Qt are fine, but you need a build with dynamic libs.
Or get the add-on sourcecode and build the thing statically yourself.

Bo Thorsen,
Fionia Software.

--

Expert Qt and C++ developer for hire