[Interest] QtSVG deprecated

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Tue Jan 10 17:08:19 CET 2012

On 10.01.12 05:13:57, Martin Holmes wrote:
> This all seems very disappointing to me. How would you actually use
> webkit to provide SVG support to QImage?
>
> When I moved to Qt (from Delphi), I was delighted to discover that
> QImage supported SVG, because I'd been used to having to provide icon
> sets in multiple resolutions just to enable users to change toolbar
> sizes. SVG icons seemed a huge step forward, just as they do when you
> discover that your desktop icons on Linux are SVG and are scalable.

As far as I know every artist will tell you that this does not work, at
least not without creating useless icons on smaller sizes. As Thiago
said you'll probably find quite a lot of icons on your system that look
differently in 16x16 or 8x8 than in the larger resolutions since they
have more details in those larger scales (and the original SVG).

You could of course simply create icons that scale down to 8x8 by
leaving out details etc. but such icons often look pretty sad when
scaled up.

Andreas