[Interest] QtSVG deprecated

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Wed Jan 11 14:35:15 CET 2012

On Wednesday, 11 de January de 2012 08.59.31, Uwe Rathmann wrote:
> I'm also not thrilled about having to introduce a complete Web Browser
> ( even the time of cross compiling Qt gets doubled ) + QGV to embedded
> devices with limited resources.

A device with limited resources but powerful enough that rasterising SVG on
the fly isn't an issue?

> But isn't this a problem of missing APIs and modularization of the
> QtWebKit module only ?

It can't be done.

> I wouldn't mind to use its SVG renderer ( as it seems to be the better
> one ), if it wouldn't have the requirement for all the other stuff, that
> has nothing to do with the simple SVG -> QPixmap functionality.

The SVG code is about half of WebKit. Plus it pulls in another fourth of
webkit in terms of the JavaScript interpreter.

So if you complain that WebKit is big, remember that it's big *because* of
SVG, not in spite of it.

      PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
      E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358