[Interest] QtSVG deprecated

Martin Holmes mholmes at uvic.ca
Wed Jan 11 18:08:46 CET 2012

On 12-01-11 08:33 AM, Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> On 11.01.12 08:11:19, Martin Holmes wrote:
>> These are all good reasons why a fast, light implementation of SvgTiny
>> is a really good idea. And we have one,
>
> No you don't. You have something which tries to implement Svg Tiny, but
> apparently is not complete or bug-free.

It works pretty well whenever I've used it. No code is bug-free, and few
implementations of W3C standards are truly complete; these are not
reasons to throw it away.

>> and it works well for the kind
>> of simple GUI graphics that show up in touch interfaces and on toolbars.
>> So I ask again: What's the process for lobbying to keep QtSvg as a
>> supported implementation of SvgTiny?
>
> As Thiago said: Find someone to work on it, which probably means paying
> someone to work on/maintain the codebase outside the Nokia/Qt team.

A couple of people have already suggested that they might help. I don't
have the graphics skills myself. But I was wondering whether we could
make the case to the Nokia/Qt team themselves that they should
un-deprecate it.

Cheers,
Martin

> Andreas