[Interest] C++11 in Qt5

Rui Maciel rui.maciel at gmail.com
Mon Jun 11 23:09:13 CEST 2012

On 06/11/2012 09:52 PM, Giuseppe D'Angelo wrote:
> I think there's a misunderstanding: C++11 support IS NOT required to
> use or build Qt 5. If you have a recent compiler and enable C++11
> support in Qt, then you get those nice extra features. Otherwise you
> don't. But you can still use Qt 5 without them:)

It isn't necessarily a problem of not having a decent compiler.  For
example, Ubuntu 12.04 LTS ships with GCC 4.6.3, and currently the 4.6
branch of GCC provides only partial support for C++11.[1]  The 4.7
branch also has a few holes in this department.[2]  I wouldn't say that
GCC isn't a decent compiler.

Knowing this, a considerable number of people do use GCC, and even if a
C++11-compliant version is released in the near future, a significant
number of people will be stuck with a version which doesn't comply with
the C++11 standard, and will be in that position for a long while.

Rui Maciel

[1] http://gcc.gnu.org/gcc-4.6/cxx0x_status.html
[2] http://gcc.gnu.org/gcc-4.7/cxx0x_status.html