[Interest] C++11 in Qt5

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Tue Jun 12 00:03:38 CEST 2012

Hi,

On Mon, Jun 11, 2012 at 11:09 PM, Rui Maciel <rui.maciel at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 06/11/2012 09:52 PM, Giuseppe D'Angelo wrote:
> > I think there's a misunderstanding: C++11 support IS NOT required to
> > use or build Qt 5. If you have a recent compiler and enable C++11
> > support in Qt, then you get those nice extra features. Otherwise you
> > don't. But you can still use Qt 5 without them:)
>
> It isn't necessarily a problem of not having a decent compiler.  For
> example, Ubuntu 12.04 LTS ships with GCC 4.6.3, and currently the 4.6
> branch of GCC provides only partial support for C++11.[1]  The 4.7
> branch also has a few holes in this department.[2]  I wouldn't say that
> GCC isn't a decent compiler.

As was said, then the users of such compilers won't get perfect Qt5 code
generated. That being said, I think its reasonable to expect the Qt5 devs
to also run gcc 4.7 or maybe even 4.6. Hence features used by Qt5 will in
turn probably be available with those versions already. I don't expect the
Qt developers to be using gcc from a development branch.

So I think right now its safe to assume with gcc 4.7 you should get all
those C++ 11 features
that Qt5 uses and hence optimal Qt5 code generated.

Andreas