[Interest] QML compiler?

Harri Pasanen harri at mpaja.com
Thu Jun 14 08:16:43 CEST 2012

On 06/14/2012 12:32 AM, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> On quarta-feira, 13 de junho de 2012 22.50.29, Harri Pasanen wrote:
>> Can the V8 state be dumped on disk?  If yes, it could do like python,
>> compile the first run on target and dump the result for subsequent
>> runs.  (Although python bytecode is machine independent).
>>
>> I'm not familiar with QML inner workings though, especially where does
>> the split with C++ and javascript happen.  Is all of QML compiled so
>> some Javascript object model that has hooks to call to C++ and back?
>> Is there some technical paper online which would have an overview?
> Anything can be dumped to disk. The big question is whether the data you load
> back makes any sense at all in a different process.

Well, I didn't mean dumping the core.  More like a lisp machine system
image.

> In V8's case, it doesn't. Not only is the state completely machine-dependent,
> it's also dependent on the V8 library version as well as the load address of
> the library. In modern systems with ASLR, each time the library is loaded,
> it's loaded at a different address.

As Jason mentioned V8, I wondered if it has some new feature which
enables the JIT to be used more like a traditional compiler.   In mobile
contexts and short lived processes in general the JIT is typically
harmful, not helpful.

Harri