[Interest] QML compiler?

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Thu Jun 14 00:32:24 CEST 2012

On quarta-feira, 13 de junho de 2012 22.50.29, Harri Pasanen wrote:
> Can the V8 state be dumped on disk?  If yes, it could do like python,
> compile the first run on target and dump the result for subsequent
> runs.  (Although python bytecode is machine independent).
>
> I'm not familiar with QML inner workings though, especially where does
> the split with C++ and javascript happen.  Is all of QML compiled so
> some Javascript object model that has hooks to call to C++ and back?
> Is there some technical paper online which would have an overview?

Anything can be dumped to disk. The big question is whether the data you load
back makes any sense at all in a different process.

In V8's case, it doesn't. Not only is the state completely machine-dependent,
it's also dependent on the V8 library version as well as the load address of
the library. In modern systems with ASLR, each time the library is loaded,
it's loaded at a different address.