[Interest] Is Nokia officially done with Qt?

BRM bm_witness at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 15 21:55:58 CEST 2012

> From: "lorn.potter at nokia.com" <lorn.potter at nokia.com>

>Subject: Re: [Interest] Is Nokia officially done with Qt?
>On 16/06/2012, at 12:11 AM, ext Doogster wrote:
>> Here's an article that does specifically mention Qt:
>>
>> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/06/14/nokia_software_purge/
>>
>>    "Among the 10,000 casualties officially announced are teams working on
>>    Meltemi, Qt and QML.
>>
>>    So is it farewell for Qt and QML? Not at all, says Nokia. 'Speculation is
>>    groundless,'"
>
>These are not to be taken as official statements by my employer, but mine personally.
>
>Are we affected? Yes, most certainly. Do we know what is going on? Not completely at this time.
>
>We have been told the Qt asset (Brisbane, Oslo, Berlin - Trolltech) are not "immediately" 'shutting our doors' like Ulm, and other areas. We have been told we are still working on getting Qt 5 released in the near term. We have also been told not to submit commits to Qt for the next few days, until legal works out something legal like thing.
>
>Are people fixing up resume/cv's and looking for new digs? You betcha.

Sad to see you guys in the same basic position I've been sitting in for a while - with a parent company that doesn't really want to sell my Qt-based products for political reasons, not technical reasons. (The Qt-based product is far superior technically to the product they want to replace it with.) So I know the anxiety it's causing.

Regardless, I'm sticking with Qt regardless of my present employer, and am starting to plan Qt-based projects on the side as well. Here's hoping I can eventually fund some work on it too.

Any how, hope it clears up for you all soon.

Ben